On the occasion of the World Elders Abuse Awareness Day WEAAD, the 2018 Elders Mela was organized at the A.V. College campus, Domalguda, Hyderabad on 15th, 16th and 17th June.
On the opening day, a silent demonstration rally was taken out at Necklace Road, Hyderabad where 3,000 senior citizens participated representing all the districts of Telangana & A.P.
After the rally, a meeting was held and it was attended by Sri.K. Rosaiah, former C.M and Governor, Sri. Thummala Nageshwar Rao, Minister for Disabled and Senior Citizens Welfare and Child Development, Smt. B. Shailaja- Director & Commissioner (Dept. of Disabled and Senior Citizens Welfare), Justice Sri. G. Chandraiah (Retd.) High Court Judge, Sri. Vuppala Gopala Rao, Elders State activist, Sri. V. Mohan Reddy, Ex- MLA, Karimnagar, Sri. Mohammad Raza Mohammad (Head Telugu states, Helpage India), Dr. A. Avulappa & others. It was resolved to work for the protection of seniors and for their dignity and respect which is needed in the present situation.
The above Elders Mela event continued for 3 days during which seminars, discussions on topics useful and related to elders were organized. Sports and cultural activities were also held. For the convenience of senior citizens, medical checkup units by eminent physicians were arranged which were availed of by the seniors who have come from far off places and villages. Cultural activities Kavi Sammelanam was the main attractive programmes. The dignitaries who attended during the ongoing events are Sri. V. Durga Prasad, Judge of High Court, A.P. & Telanagana, Dr. Justice Sri. G. Yathi Rajulu, Former Chairman of the A.P. Administrative Tribunal and Dr. VBJ Rao Chelikani.
The closing ceremony was a colorful event witnessed by a large gathering where Bhangra dance and wit an impressive drama on Swami Vivekananda. All the three days, the events were successfully organized by Sri. M. Krishna Reddy, Convenor, Founder & Managing Trustee of Elders Club International Foundation.
By B. Om Prakash.
Felicitation to KLVS Raju of Swadhar Greh in Elders Mela
Sri. Jonnalagadda Satyanarayana of Day Care Centre Tarnaka won Mens’Carrom Singles competition held on the sideline of the Elders Mela 2018
Prerana an NGO, Ramanthapur, Hyderabad celebrated WEAA Day under the leadership of their President Er. Giri who spoke on elders abuse, prevention and safety of elders and honoured a few elders. Members of the organisation Sri. Rajender, Sri. Suvarna Raj, Teekshan Raj and others have actively participated in the event.
By Er. Giri
While speaking on the occasion of WEAA Day on 15th June, at Mekala Bharathi Gardens , Uppal, Hyderabad , Rachakonda Commissioner of Police Sri. Mahesh Bhagavat assured that the Police would help solve the problems of senior citizens and they could post their problems on Whatsapp no: 9490617111. He also advised parents who are neglected by their children to complain to RDO and action would be taken against them as per the Maintenance & Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act,2007.
By Mohd.Raza Mohammed,
Help Age India.
Deendayal Nagar Senior Citizens Association
Deendayal Nagar Senior Citizens Welfare Association, Neredmet, Secunderabad has celebrated their 5th annual gathering at their office premises on 11.06.2018 at 5.30 a.m. A Souvenir was released by Sri. N.Ramachander Rao ,MLC who has appreciated the activities and the social work being done by the Association and announced a grant of Rs. 10 lakhs for extension of the building.
Among the guests present were Malkajgiri Dy. Commissioner Sri. K. Venu Gopal, Dr. G. Nageswara Rao, President-A.S. Rao Nagar Senior Citizens Association. Sri. N. Nageswara Rao, President-T.S. Senior Citizens Confederation. Sri. N.E. Acharya, President, Sri.K. Veera Swamy, Secretary and other members of the Association have actively participated to make the function a grand success. Several residents of the colony have attended and enjoyed the musical programme by Anu Sisters of Sumadhura Arts Academy.
By K.Jagannatha Swamy
It is being proposed to hold the next AISSCON general conference at Hyderabad during Nov or Dec this year. A preparatory meeting of the local organisations, led Sri. R.N. Mital, former president AISSCON was held on 07.06.2018 at Lion’s Club Secunderabad to workout the necessary details.
By S. Karunakar
Pattana Senior Citizens Forum, Mahabub Nagar
- A Digital Literacy Programme was conducted by the Senior Citizens Forum of the City with Helpage India, on 05.06.2018 at their office, which was presided over by their President Sri. Jagapathi Rao. Mr.Shyam Kumar of Helpage India has explained the need of Digital Literacy in our daily life and how to make use of the electronic gadgets and that the senior citizens should have knowledge of The Senior Citizens Act and welfare activities. Sri. Chandra Shekar and Sangameshwar explained the benefits of life insurance.
- A large number of members of the association attended the Elders Mela at Hyderabad on 15/06/2018. Sri. Jagapathi Rao, Sri.Nagabhushanam, Sri.Savaraih, Balaiah, Smt.Lakshmi Somasekhar, Veeramanemma and several other members have participated in the programme.
By N. Nagabhushanam
Gram Vidhya Dinacharya Kendram Inaugurated
VIP an NGO in Mahabubnagar inaugurated “ Gram Vidhya Dinacharya Kendram” at Kurumurti Village under Chinachintakunta Mandal. Sri. C. Venkata Rao, J.C., as chief guest has inaugurated the Centre and appreciated the work done by Dr.T. Nagendra Swamy, President of VIP. Other guests present were Sarpanch Smt. Parvati Mohan, Tahasildar Sri. S,. Kishan, Sri. Haranath, G. Krishnaiah and other members of VIP and elders.
By Dr.T. Nagendra Swamy
Senior Citizens Forum, Subash Nagar, Nizamabad
- A distribution camp was held on 25-05-2018 under the chairmanship of Dist. Collector, Nizamabad where Manager of ALMICO Hyderabad & Coordinator of Welfare office & Project Director DRDA, Nizamabad were present. All kinds of aids to the hearing impaired, visual impaired, mentally retarded & senior sitizens of urban & rural villages of Nizamabad district have been distributed. The Dist. Collector, the Manager ALIMCO, project Director, DRDA have recognized the services being rendered and have expressed their appreciation in their address to the audience present. The district welfare officer conveyed vote of thanks before concluding of the programme.
- The Senior Citizens Forum Nizamabad has been distributing Pulihora on every Monday at Prajavani camp, where the all district heads are present. Smt. Akula Lalitha, MLC & Akula Sujatha, Mayor of Nizamabad Municipal Corporation have attended during the pulihora distribution on-28-05-2018 and on 04-06-2018 respectively to those who come to the Prajavani.
- They celebrated the Telangana Foramtion Day in a befitting manner on 2nd June, 2018. The National Flag was hoisted by the President on the top of the building at 8-15 a.m. in the presence of about 60 members. A meeting has been conducted under the chairmanship of President and some respected members have delivered their speeches. They honoured some members who worked in the struggle for formation of the state. Cultural programme was held and snacks were served. Sri. N. Raja Reddy, General Secretary conveyed vote of thanks to the participants.
By T. Bhoomanna, President.
Kodad Senior Citizens Welfare Association
- The senior citizens meeting was held on 02-06-2018 at Pensioners Seva Sadan of Kodad district, Suryapet, Telangana. It was presided over by Sri. Gaddam Narsaiah, President and Sri. Mallempalli Venkateshar Rao, General Secretary. Most of the office bearers and executive members from all over the mandals have attended the meeting and extended hearty congratulations to the members who have been elected to the district committee of senior citizens in Suryapet district.
- The District Collector and Chair person of the District Senior Citizens Committee has appointed the following two honourable persons to the nine members district committee: Sri. Ravella Seetharamaiah, President Kodad District Senior Citizens Association, in the category of eminent senior citizens and Dr. Atukuri Rama Rao, Kodad Vice President of Shuttle Badminton association in the category of non- official specialists among the senior citizens.
- Senior Citizens Welfare Association Kodad, has organized WEAA Day by conducting about ½ k.m. rally starting from their office, led by the District Senior Citizens Forum, Sri. G. Narsaiah, Secretary Sri. M. Venkateshwara Rao. The RDO assured the senior citizens all help from his office. Several senior citizens have participated in the programme and made it a success.
By R. Seetharamaiah
Senior Citizens Welfare Association, Tanuku, A.P.
- Weekly mobile medical camps were conducted on 20/5, 27/5, 03/6, and 10/6 in Tanuku and surrounding villages viz. Velpuru,K.Savaram, Mandapaka and Undrajavaram and examined 165 patients in all. They have distributed medicines contributed by Smt.P.Jayasree. The Association also organized a medical camp on 20/5/18 i.e. the third Sunday at their office premises, where sugar and blood tests were conducted on 43 patients by Swetha Diagnostic Centre. Dr. B. Venkateswarlu, Dr. V.Satyanarayana Raju, Dr. Hussain Ahmed and Dr. V. Venkat Raju have examined the patients.
- The Executive Committee meeting was held on 22/05/18 and the General Body meeting on 25/05 at their office under the leadership of their President Sri. G. Keseswar Rao, who informed to the members the various activities taken by the Association and particulars of the donations they have received in April last. He has introduced 5 new members to the Association and conveyed greetings to 50 members whose birthdays fall in May.
- The members of the Association met near the mosque at 5.30 p.m. under leadership of their honorary President Dr.Hussain Ahmed and exchanged greetings to each other on the occassion ofRamzan . He hosted “Iftar” party to all the members.
- On the occasion of WEAA Day, Sir G. Keseswara Rao, President of this Association has been honoured along with other senior members who have completed 50 years of married life at Elders Mela, Hyderabad.
By G. Keseswara Rao, President.
Senior Citizens Associations West Godavari Dist
Senior Citizens Associations from Eluru, Tadepallygudem, Bhimavaram, Sajjapuram and from other towns have assembled at Eluru on the occasion of World Elders Abuse Awareness Day on 15th June and took a rally in support of senior citizens.
Senior Citizens Association, Aakiveedu, Westgodavari
The Association organized a programme on WEAA Day near Sai Baba temple on 15th June.2018. The programme was presided over by the President Dr.M.V. Suryanarayana Raju, who financed Rs. 30,000/- for distribution of uniforms to the private cleaning personnel of the Panchayat. The President of the Association Sri. B. Bangaraiah, Secretary Sri. A.V. Subba Rao, HelpAge India Coordinator Sri. Krishnam Raju and others have participated and spoke on prevention of abuse on elders and Maintenance & Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act,2007.
By Bobbili Bangaraiah
Elders Abuse Awareness meeting at the Convention Hall at Vijayawada.
Senior Citizens Council, Delhi
- Mr. L. R. Garg, Secretary of Council from India attended First World Senior Tourism Congress Conference held on 24-26 May, 2018 at Yantai, China followed by Study Tour (Shandong Province during 27-31 May, 2018) in which a large number of delegates from various countries like Tunisia, Brazil, Slovakia, Ukraine, U.K., Australia, France, Spain, Senegal, Colombia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Djibouti and Mauritius have participated.The Conference has focussed on « Requirements for Senior Study Tours with U3As Worldwide. The Conference was presided by Prof. Francois Vellas of France. Mr.Garg felicitated various delegates with mementos on behalf of Senior Citizens Council of Delhi (India).
- On the eve of World Environment Day, J.R.Gupta, President of Council administered a pledge on 03-06-2018, not to use plastic bags. He further advised to present plants instead of gifts to the near and the dear in future. On this occasion, children in large numbers also participated in drawing competition on Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and Save Earth, Clean Indian Green India. Prizes and certificates were also distributed by Ms. Geetanjali Goel, ADJ & Special Secretary, Delhi State Legal Services Authority.
- Like in the past years, on the occasion of the WEAAD, the Confederation has organized a peaceful Candle March at Jantar Mantar Red Light facing Parliament Street, New Delhi, in which more than 500 senior citizens have participated, from different parts of Delhi. The Candle March is meant to draw the attention of Govt. of India, Govt. of Delhi and Delhi Police to take remedial measures.
- The Elder Abuse Report 2018 prepared by Help Age India was released on 14-06-2018 on the eve of WEAAD by Dr. Mala Kapur Shankardass (Maitreyi College), Mrs. R.J.Chris(Radio One), Bishwajit Bhattacharya(Senior Advocate), G.V.L Narasimha Rao (M.P.), Mathew Cherian (CEO, Help Age India) and J.R.Gupta, Chairperson of the Confederation. According to report, Delhi is the amongst the top 5 cities with maximum cases of abuse (33%), by Son (62%), and Daughter-in-Law (44%) whose age was below 40 years. The most common abuse experienced is verbal Abuse (58%), Disrespect (48%) and Neglect (34%). Exploitation was 11% and beating & slapping was a disturbing 10%. 77% Elders did not report the abuse (45%), followed by ‘ I do not know how to deal with the problem’ (45%), 63 % Elders were aware of the redressal mechanism which includes 60% about police helpline and 11% about Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act- 2007. 88% Elders felt that adult children are too busy on phone while 81% felt that quality time spent by children with them has decreased. 70% extreme attention given to phones etc. was disrespectful. 64% Elders felt that there is a need to sensitize children to strengthen inter-generational bonding.
Nationally:- Nearly 1/4th (25%) elders experienced abuse personally from Son (52%), Daughter-in-Law (34%). 85% Elderly were living with family and 69% have a house in their own name. Elders Abuse was reported maximum in Mangalore (47%), Ahmedabad (46%), Bhopal (39%), Amritsar (35%), Delhi (33%), Kanpur (30%), Chennai (27%), Bengaluru (26%), Hyderabad (24%), Kolkata (23%), Jammu (12%), Mumbai (13%), Vizag (13%), Kochi (15%) and Guwahati (17%) and the ages of abusers are below 42 years, who are skilled workers/ working professionals (50%). The most common form of abuse was Disrespect (56%), Verbal Abuse (49%) and Neglect (33%).
- For the first time, the Council has organised Fathers Day at its Recreation Center on 17-06-2018 in the presence of more than 250 senior citizens. Musical programme with melodious songs was organised by the eminent artists of Sur Mitra Group on 16-06-2018 headed by its President Surinder Pushkarna, a Council member. Chief guest was Sh.Manoj Tiwari, M.P. and Mrs. Shikha Rai, Chairman, Standing Committee, S.D.M.C as the guest of honour along with Sh.S.S.Monti and Mrs.Renu Monti. Rahtu Lal (93), P.R.Gupta (86), Jagdish Parshad (94), Rajesh Gupta (84) & Shivaji Singh (78) having 4 generations were felicitated on Father Day by the chief guest with flowers, shawl, patka, memento and a gift as a token of respect and regards. Mrs. Shikha Rai and S.S.Monti also addressed the audience and felicitated 7 students of 10th and 12th class who have scored more than 93% marks in CBSE Examination- 2018 with a patka and a gift (laptop bag) along with merit certificates. Chief Guest also felicitated senior citizens whose birthday falls in the month of June, 2018 with flowers, shawl, patka and a gift.